Sunday, September 21, 2014

Week 4: Old Weird and New Weird







"I before e, except after c, and except for weird, because weird is just weird."

I love weird be it old or new.  This past summer, i had an obsession (to be perfectly honest, i still do) over Weird Science comic covers.  Along with any pulp covers i could find, i love that shit.


Weird for me is the unexplained, once you start putting labels on it, it becomes a thing.  I don't want to get to deep on why things are weird because i genuinely don't know, but i love it. This week we watched under the skin, and it was AMAZING (had to run home and watch it), because of how "weird" to some say it was.  Im attracted to that so called "weird" stuff.


Weird has became sort of a thing now, kind of like people who call themselves "geeks."  Its like people want to be weird, want to be different and in that way because theres enough of them that becomes a cliche.


But again, the weird i like is the stuff that not only is hard to explain, or doesn't need an explanation, aside from that i think its the stuff thats just a little off, riding the border line between whats taboo and whats somewhat except able?


Its funny because as a somewhat new person to this world and not discovering pulp covers until late last year but only seeing them vaguely on films my parents use to let me watch as a child.  Im experiencing the "old weird" and for me "that" time is now although its been hear already and gone away.  So i think it runs along the lines of the creative, where all things have been done before and if you want to do it again you try to find a new way of spinning it, which i guess is what I'm trying to achieve with my art, without labeling it of corse.



No comments:

Post a Comment